This last week we picked up in our “The Power of One” series and looked at The Power of One Step. Here are a few thoughts that I’d like to revisit from yesterday’s message:
- In order for us to experience the power of one step, our steps must be intentional. (Mt 14:22,23)
Jesus modeled a life and relationship with God that included times of solitude dedicated to prayer. This was never more pronounced than before any major event, happening or event in the life of Jesus or his ministry.Before we make decisions and take steps toward what we feel God might be calling us to, we absolutely MUST make time with God, seeking His face, a priority in order for us to really be intentional about each step we take.
- Fear is the number one reason that people don’t step up or step out in faith. (Mt 14:24-30)
Money, reasoning, opportunities, etc. These are just some of the barriers that stand in our way and keep us from pursuing the God-sized dreams in our life. The reality is that these all pale in comparison to fear. Fear is the biggest setback we often face when it comes to taking our first steps toward anything.
In order for us to be effective in stepping into what God is calling us to, we must both address and choose to overcome our fears.
- As long as our eyes are fixed on Jesus, the impossible becomes possible. (Mt 14:31,32)
Seriously?! Peter walked on water. That’s impossible according to the standards of this world. Yet we serve a God that isn’t confined by the finite thinking of humanity. No! We live for a God who is all about the possible in the impossible.
As long as our eyes are fixed on Jesus and not on the things of this work, anything becomes possible in and through Him!
So here are 3 questions that I think we ought to be wrestling with this week:
- What “mile” (opportunity) is waiting for you to take the first step?
- What storms of life have you allowed to hold you back from stepping out in faith?
- What step do you need to take right now, today, in this moment, to begin the journey that God has in store for you?
“The journey of every mile begins with one step.” There IS power in one step! So go on and step out in faith today!!
Here’s what I’m excited about from this past week…
- An amazing community! It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly welcoming and friendly the people here at Illumination Church are. Just blows my mind!
- IC volunteers are second to none. I am so incredibly blessed by the way the people of our church step up time and again to give of themselves; their time, their experiences, their gifts and more.
- The way the Spirit of God is moving in and through Illumination Church. It’s absolutely outstanding to be a part of what God is doing both in spirit and in breadth.
Here’s what I’m looking forward to this coming week…
- I’m looking forward to this weekend’s message; a message focused on the power of one meal. I can hardly wait to experience communion for the first time in our new Burnsville campus.
- I’m excited to spend time connecting with our volunteers and leaders as we dream of ways to continue to execute our mission and vision within our new community.
- I’m thrilled to spend time reading, processing and praying.
May the grace and the peace of God be evident in your life as you seek the face of God and desire to grow in knowledge, in understanding and in your relationship with Jesus this week!
Yesterday was AWESOME! Seriously, I can’t think of much better than celebrating an empty tomb and a resurrected Christ. What’s more is that I can hardly imagine experiencing this celebration any other place than with Illumination Church.
Here are some of my reflections from yesterday:
- The tomb is EMPTY!
- Jesus is ALIVE!!
- In Him we, too, are made ALIVE!!!
- 7 people responded to the gospel and gave their lives to Jesus!
- 9 people in all responded to commit or recommit their lives to Christ!\
- I’m totally excited about our new, now current series, “The Power of One”
- One choice can change everything! (from yesterday’s message)
- We moved to 2 services: 9 & 10:45
- The band was phenomenal in leading the church to a place of reflection and worship. Never hurts to kick things off with a little Journey, “Don’t Stop Believing”.
- IC has the most incredible volunteers and leaders!
- I’m reminded once again that one of the things that sets IC apart is the people; an amazing community that takes doing life and ministry together to a whole new level.
- Healing. For many, yesterday was a day of healing in many ways.
Here are a few of the things that I’m looking forward to as a church this week:
- The message this weekend, “The Power of One Step!”
- IGNITE kicks off on Sunday night (a practical and hands on look at the Bible) – Sunday night from 6 to 7:30 @ our IC Cafe
- Connecting with and getting to know some of the many new faces and families here at IC.
- Continuing to connect with the community around our new campus in Burnsville
I’m praying that the presence of the Holy Spirit and the power of God in our lives will be evident this week both in word and deed, that people might see Christ in and through us as individuals and as a church.
Until all hear,
I’m sitting in my office on Monday afternoon, nearly 3:30pm in the afternoon, and still can’t get over what we’ve experienced recently as a church. Wow! Seriously?! It’s rare, but I find myself near speechless… Nah!
Here are a few thoughts that are bouncing around in my brain from yesterday:
- The Campus: When I look around at our new Burnsville Campus, it never ceases to amaze me how many people have stepped up and helped to make our new worship space what it is – warm, inviting, exciting, relevant and so much more. I’m blessed by the countless incredible volunteers who have absolutely poured it out for Jesus in an effort to make His name famous in our new building.
- The Music: Yesterday was the first time we’ve experienced live music from a full band and it was nothing short of awesome! Pastor Brian has done an outstanding job recruiting, training and leading musicians and vocalists, all in an effort to glorify the Name of God and in leading people to a place of reflection and adoration through music.
- The People: I serve the greatest church in Minnesota…really! No, REALLY!! I cannot imagine a more exceptional group of men, women and children to do life and ministry with. If you’re reading this and you’re a part of Illumination Church, that means YOU! What’s more is that I am so encouraged by how many new people God is drawing to IC. I’m looking forward to our continued growth in life and ministry as we continue to be a church on purpose, with a purpose and for a purpose.
- The Volunteers: From IC Kids to our Greeters and Parking Attendants and more, IC is blessed by the people who have stepped up to make our ministries possible; to make them what they are. God is using the volunteers here at our church to help change the way people view God. Thank you for those within Illumination Church who continue to step up and pour it out. It matters!
- WHYIC?: Talk about impact – our WHYIC? campaign is being seen far and wide. I’m so grateful for the opportunity to share IC with our new community and beyond and to be able to engage people where they’re at, inviting them to partner with us in life and ministry and all of the reasons why. From the tee-shirts to the invites, the black “goodie-bags” and more, I can hardly wait to see how God uses this campaign to reach people. It’s going to be awesome!
This week I’m looking forward to:
- Going to 2 services on Sunday morning. We’ve added a second service and changed the times of our Celebration Services for convenience and in order to accommodate for the growth that we’re expecting as well as to allow our amazing volunteers an opportunity to serve as well as attend a Celebration Service without missing a beat.
- Starting our new “The Power One” series. It’s going to be phenomenal! I’m so excited to kick things off this coming weekend in sharing about one of the most powerful numbers in existence: the number 1.
- Encountering Christ. I cannot begin to tell you how much I’m looking forward to encountering Christ with the people of our church as well as with the people that will come and be a part of IC for the first time. Looking forward to being a part of what God’s going to do this weekend.
So there you have it; some things that are bouncing around in my head on a Monday afternoon.
I pray that you find encouragement in who you are in Christ. I pray that God’s presence is both felt and in experienced in your life this week and that you others will see Jesus in you and me.
Until all hear,